Room Acoustics Software
REW is room acoustics analysis software for measuring and analysing room and loudspeaker responses. It includes tools for generating audio test signals; measuring SPL and impedance; measuring frequency and impulse responses; generating phase, group delay and spectral decay plots, waterfalls, spectrograms and energy-time curves; generating real time analyser (RTA) plots; calculating reverberation times; calculating Thiele-Small parameters; determining the frequencies and decay times of modal resonances; displaying equaliser responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes and adjust responses to match a target curve. The audio analysis features of REW help you optimise the acoustics of your listening room, studio or home theater and find the best locations for your speakers, subwoofers and listening position.
New in REW V5
- Phase & Group Delay (measured, minimum and excess)
- Phase wrap/unwrap, minimum phase generation
- Step Response and Spectrogram plots
- Impedance measurement and Thiele-Small parameter calculation from impedance measurements
- Impulse Response delay calculation and adjustment
- Measurement arithmetic functions, add/subtract/multiply/divide/merge measurement
- Separate windows for overlays, RTA and EQ functions
- Sound level meter with full integrating functionality including equivalent sound level and sound exposure level; mic/meter and soundcard calibration corrections applied; A, C or Z weighting
- New algorithms for EQ adjustment offering exceptional tracking of target responses, can be used over any frequency range
- Waterfalls of predicted results of EQ can be viewed in the EQ panel and can update live as filter settings are adjusted
- Support for QSC DSP-30, Crown USM 810, Behringer DCX2496 and MiniDSP parametric filters
- Room resonance analysis to determine the frequencies and decay times of modal resonances with pole-zero plots of the response and any filters applied
- "Modal" filter setting provided for parametric EQ filters to aid in correcting modal decay
Carried over from REW V4
- Frequency response measured using logarithmically swept sine signals for fast, accurate room acoustics and audio analysis measurements using either an SPL meter or measurement microphone
- Real Time Analyser with up to 1/48th octave resolution
- Spectral decay plots, waterfalls and energy-time curves
- Reverberation times derived in accordance with ISO 3382 in octave or one-third octave bands with results for Early Decay time (EDT), T20, T30 and an optimal fit RT60 figure, impulse response can be displayed with octave or one-third octave filter applied
- Signal Generator offering sine waves, square waves, linear and logarithmic sine sweeps, random pink noise (full range, speaker calibration, sub calibration and custom filtered) and periodic pink and white noise
- Frequency response import from and export to text files
- Impulse response import from WAV or AIFF files
- Export impulse responses of measurement or filter settings to WAV files with 16, 24 or 32-bit resolution
- Automatic identification of peaks in the response, automatic assignment of filters to peaks and optimisation of filter parameters to counter the peaks
- Support for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro models DSP1124P and FBQ2496, including filter setup via Midi (Midi interface required)
- Support for the TMREQ equaliser in the TAG McLaren AV32R DP and AV192R AV processors, including filter setup via RS232
- Compensation for C-weighting when using an external SPL meter as the input, calibration files can be loaded for soundcard, microphone or SPL meter
- Comprehensive help files within the application and on-line
- REW requires V5.0 or later of the Java Runtime Environment, available from http://www.java.com for Windows and Linux platforms.
- REW has been written and tested under Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8, most features should work correctly on other platforms that support Oracle's Java Runtime Environment, except for RS232 serial communications (only used to communicate with TAG McLaren Audio AV32R DP and AV192R AV Processors) which only function on Windows platforms. It has also been tested under Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (OS X 10.5 Leopard or later recommended).
- Midi communication (used to set filters on Behringer BFD Pro DSP1124P and FBQ2496 equalisers) is supported on Windows platforms. Linux platforms will require Tritonus to support Midi comms. Mac OS X platforms with J2SE V5.0 or later installed should support Midi but don't appear to.
- Minimum screen resolution: 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 or greater recommended
- Minimum RAM: 512MB, 2GB or more recommended
The current version is V5.00, released 30th January 2011. To view the revision history of REW click here.
- REW beta releases for USB mic support and the latest features and fixes
- REW for Windows current version at Home Theater shack
- REW application bundle (zipped) for Mac OS X at Home Theater shack
- REW jar files (zipped) for Linux platforms at Home Theater shack
The REW room acoustics software contains comprehensive help information. You can also view the help files online, download the html files for offline viewing or download a PDF copy. For additional tips and assistance in using the software visit the Home Theater Shack forums.
If you have found REW useful and would like to make a donation to support further development you
can do so by clicking the donation button below. Donations entitle you to extra benefits in the discussion
forums at Home Theater Shack and are processed via the Donations page of the forum
- Official REW Forums for Home Theater Enthusiasts
- BFD Guide
- Convolver plug-in
- Tritonus JavaSound Support for Linux